Skip to main content

Words Unsaid

A couple weeks ago I had dinner with a friend I haven’t seen in 4 months or so. We spent 4 hours catching up. At the end of the conversation, we both mentioned it had been too long and how much we miss hanging out. I then said something like, “it’s hard for me to ask people to do things because I feel like the only person with immense free time and it makes me look needy, clingy, and lonely.” She came back and said “I never ask because I feel like a burden to people.”

This exchange turned on the file system in my brain. 

Just about every assumption or fearful thought that was expressed to me or by me about not reaching out came flying out of my imaginary file cabinet in my brain. They sorted themselves beautifully into a clearer picture...like a data puzzle. It was time to analyze and try to understand this relationship barrier I seem to run across often.

What causes relationships to fade? Life is constantly evolving. When it stops being convenient to see someone, you start seeing them less. You no longer work in the same building. You no longer spend time at the same place. You no longer have the same relationship status. I am sure there are more examples, but you get the point. In addition, maybe something happened in one of both parties lives that distracted them and ate up their time. Assumptions and fear can also drive a wedge between two people. There are so many reasons relationships can fade. But, what do we do to recover them? Often times, we do nothing. We say nothing. The question then becomes, "why?"

How many times have you thought?:
I bet most of us think those things and so much more, but will not say a word to the person we are thinking of. We may say something to others...we may not. Often times, we suffer in silence, or so we think. In reality, our thoughts are not truly "silent" to us. They are only silent to the outside world. When you genuinely miss someone and want them around, you think of them often. These thoughts can even turn negative when you wonder things like, "do they even miss me?" 

What keeps us from reaching out? I will list the top three reasons that keep me from reaching out: (1) Too much time has passed, (2) the desire to feel like I matter, (3) fear of rejection/judgement. I am sure some of you can relate to my three reasons and some of you may have different reasons. The question then becomes "what do we do about this?" 

I think the answer is find our "courage," so we can find our "voice." If you look at the three reasons I listed for not reaching out to someone I miss, it is all fear based. Courage is the only answer to fear. How you find your courage is a personal journey that we all must travel on our own. Yes, we have our supporters and encouragers, but true courage comes from within.


Who have you been missing lately? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born To Stand Alone

I hope y'all are ready for some more Brené Brown fangirling! In my dark moments in life, somehow she always shows up to show me the light. Whether it is in a social media post, a video I run across, or a book I pick up to read at the right moment. Brené, thank you for being you and having the courage to show up and be seen.  I recently finished reading Brené Brown's book Dare to Lead . In that book she discusses values. She says that we all have two core values and the rest of the values we believe in are supportive of our two core values. I believe my two core values are: courage and legacy. When I would talk about values in my classes, I would mention integrity and authenticity as being some of my core values. I now believe those have a supporting role in my core values of legacy and courage. It takes a lot of courage to show up and be your authentic self and to sometimes stand alone in integrity. I want to be represented accurately which is why I get so upset when people...

Three Days...And Counting

I have been without my anxiety meds for three days! The struggle is so real right now! I thought all my progress in my existence was because of my growth, when apparently it's because I was medicated because now that I am not, I am a hot MFing mess! I am a patient with the Veterans Administration (VA) and now understand why so many veterans loose their s*** and blame the VA. I cannot even explain how I am feeling because its so insanely messy and indescribable. Let me tell you how this happened. The VA's fix to bring services to veterans in smaller communities was to provide clinics with some providers being TeleHealth (like Skype) and no pharmacy. Your medication has to be ordered online only and mailed from a larger VA hospital. You are instructed to order your medication online the day you receive your medication from the previous order because it takes a long time to process and receive your medicine. I ordered my medicine as instructed and as I started seeing the bott...

The Story I Tell Myself

There are days that I have pity parties about not being allowed to help people. You might be thinking at this very moment  wtf Christina. Who is not 'allowing' you to help people? How is that even a thing?  I know. I know. When I am being logical, I think about things differently. But, let me take you on my crazy train for a moment. Sometimes I get into my emotional pity party state because I feel shameful of how much I have not accomplished. These are the times when I see people in the same helping space as me having more followers and getting more gigs to come speak. I see these same people drawing lines and defaming other helpers-creating disconnection where we need connection and collaboration the most. That is when I start to question why. Photo by Suzy Hazelwood from Pexels Brene Brown shared the concept of "the story we tell ourselves" in her book Rising Strong . It makes so much sense. Humans are wired for storytelling. It is how we make sense of ...