Skip to main content

Who Am I?

I distinctly remember in the 7th grade starting a new school where only two other girls were outwardly into New Kids on the Block. I clung to their short lived friendship until I moved to another school a few months into the 7th grade. My new school had no one that loved New Kids on the Block. Your choices were rap, alternative, or heavy metal. It was so hard for me to find my group because, although I enjoyed all music, those music scenes were not a part of my identity. That was a tough year for me and I found myself assimilating into different groups rather rapidly trying to find my place. I will not go into the details, but that year did not bode well for me. Side note: I never stopped liking NKOTB and I still loooooove Joey!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried to do some research on conforming before writing this post. As research does, it turned into many different paths, but I will share what I believe based on what I found. I believe conformity is a part of our natural survival skills that we just cannot escape. We are not built to survive alone, so we find ways to bond. Bonding typically happens over similarities. I also read a little about the chameleon effect; subconsciously mimicking behaviors. There is some interesting research on these two topics; however, I want to share a little more about my experiences.

I changed schools 23 times in my childhood. Yes, that is a correct number; I counted. I attended 3 different elementary schools, 2 middle schools, and 6 high schools. I bet you are wondering how that math adds up. I bounced between some of those schools more than once. I also lived in 4 group homes, 8 family homes (I think) with 4 different sets of my family. I had many short term friendships and peer groups; way too many to count. This is just in my childhood; the first 18 years of my life. That is about half of my life span. Since then, I lived in 4 different states and 2 different countries with countless changes that come along with the military life style. I was in many relationships and marriages. I became a parent. Why does any of this matter?

Survival is number 1 to human beings! I had to assimilate into every single situation I was in. Each new environment was different. It is safe to say, I had a very chaotic life for many many years. Most of the time people did not even know the true me. Quite often, I did not even remember who I was. I felt lost. When I felt safe or just exhausted from being someone else, little bits of me would show through. Sometimes I trusted the wrong people/situations and it had negative consequences for me. Even worse, being someone I was not had its share of consequences. I hurt myself and others, put myself in unsafe/unhealthy situations, and lost who I truly am. That last one almost destroyed me, at one point in my life.

I am still wading through my multiple characters to figure out who I am. But, what I have realized lately is I still play roles, assimilating into my environments in order to be accepted, liked, and even sometimes loved. I have a friend that consistently tells me to stop watering myself down at work. No matter how hard I try to fit in and be liked by the masses in order to move up in the job I am currently in, I cannot sustain it for long, nor is it getting me my desired result. It does however cause me to be bitter. So, I am working on taking her advice and just be myself. I also have found myself "performing" in personal relationships. I changed myself to be in a relationship with someone. I did not even realize I was doing it until that person expressed how much they did not like who I had become and I still did not get my desired result. I feel like this has become a really bad unhealthy habit I have and it needs to change.
There is nothing wrong with dressing like others at your work place and taking on some social norms. But, when you begin to change into someone you are not, you can lose yourself, thus impacting your performance at work, values system, achievement of goals, and relationships. I believe we all change a little over the course of our lives. If those changes have a positive impact on your life, keep 'em. I remember being terrible at customer service skills until the day I met the most bubbly upbeat Airman. Her cheery attitude and customer connection definitely rubbed off on me. I didn't turn into some optimistic glitter throwing smiley face, but I did improve my ability to serve customers which has served me well. Telling people "no" with a smile works to an extent. Its okay to change through out life, just try not to lose yourself in the process. So confusing, I know!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born To Stand Alone

I hope y'all are ready for some more Brené Brown fangirling! In my dark moments in life, somehow she always shows up to show me the light. Whether it is in a social media post, a video I run across, or a book I pick up to read at the right moment. Brené, thank you for being you and having the courage to show up and be seen.  I recently finished reading Brené Brown's book Dare to Lead . In that book she discusses values. She says that we all have two core values and the rest of the values we believe in are supportive of our two core values. I believe my two core values are: courage and legacy. When I would talk about values in my classes, I would mention integrity and authenticity as being some of my core values. I now believe those have a supporting role in my core values of legacy and courage. It takes a lot of courage to show up and be your authentic self and to sometimes stand alone in integrity. I want to be represented accurately which is why I get so upset when people...

Focusing On The Up Side

I recently moved to Texas from Florida with two of my daughters. It seems that my nine year old daughter is doing just fine...dare I say, even thriving. While, my seventeen year old and myself are really blah about the whole thing. If you read my last post , you know that I am completely aware of my internal struggle with this move. If you have read my post, Words Unsaid , you will know that my brain is a super-filing-system set on figuring out problems. The fact that we are not doing as well as my nine year old poses a problem to me. I know...I know...we should not compare ourselves to others, but by golly I want to feel as great as that little sweet girl of mine. We recently had an amazing girls night out. My brother and his wife gifted us theater tickets to see " Anastasia ." In my mind I believed this would be the first solution to our little issue of being meh . I will just lead with, we had a great time and I will talk about that more in just a sec. Right now, I wa...

What Is Family?

This week has been a learning experience for me. I have been very introspective-processing a lot of information on relationships and connection. The universe sometimes likes to give me a lot of data to work with, so I can learn a little somethin' somethin'-then I share it with ya'll. Lately, I have been trying to figure out what "family" is. When we are young, we are taught that "family" is made up of our relatives, period. As we grow into adults, that is what we often continue to believe. Then sometimes, something funny happens. You start to realize that you have strong amazing connections with non-relatives. You may notice that you really are not that connected with your relatives. If you are anything like me, you start to feel some kind of way for not having what you think you are supposed to have-start questioning yourself-start forcing a square peg into a round hole-toss out the beloved rock you love. Okay, I just got kind of weird with my analo...