Skip to main content

Who Are You?


The most profound thing I have learned over the last few years is how amazing it is to know, accept, and love yourself. I have learned this through many avenues: reading, friends, teaching classes, etc. In this post, I would like to share some enlightening subjects and ideas with you.

Personality
I am sure most of us have taken a lot of personality test. I know I have. My favorite one so far is the one available on 16personalities.com . In my opinion, the best part about this site is the description of your personality and the fun titles they give them. I laughed so hard when I found out my personality is “The Commander” (ENTJ-A). Just the title, alone, fits me. However, the details provided showing the strengths and challenges in numerous aspects of life was enlightening. The parenting area was a gem. I often feel like there is something wrong with how I parent, but reading about my parenting style (which was spot on), I found the strengths in that style. This helped me see that I am a good parent, just in my own way.
Love Language
I have found The 5 Love Languages Assessment to be quite helpful for me. I usually use this information to be a better parent, but I also find use in knowing my own Love Language. I am better able to communicate what my needs are because I now understand them on a different level. I have always wondered why I often felt uncared about. When I learned that how you receive love is also how you give love, it made sense why I felt that way and why my children often felt like I did not care about them. My Love Language is “Acts of Service.” Well, if I am being loved by someone with “Words of Affirmation” Love Language, they are more than likely comfortable with speaking love to me instead of showing love through an act. It also means, I need to be more aware of how I give love, so I am loving those around me the way they need it.
Strengths
I learned about the science of knowing and using your strengths through teaching Master Resilience Training at my job. I found out that using your “signature strengths” energizes you and generally causes you to feel good about yourself. It’s not to say that you will never need to dig deep to use some lesser strengths, it’s just awesome to use those signature ones. This information can help parents and bosses, also. If you learn to spot “signature strengths” in your children or employees, you can help them find ways to use them. Then, you are energizing them and helping them feel good about themselves. There is a test you can take to find your “signature strengths” (the top 5) called the Valuesin Action (VIA) Survey. Remember to read the definition if you are at all confused by the title of the strength.
Birth Chart (Astrology)
I am also a believer in astrology. I have read up on my birth chart which took me a while to do. But, for the sake of keeping it simple, I think just looking at your Sun Sign is sufficient. I very much relate to my Sun Sign, Taurus. If you google your sun sign you can find all kinds of information, almost like a personality test. You may read it and think, yeah that’s not quite me, but that is where you might want to pull your birth chart and do a little more research. That will explain those differences.
Hogwarts House
I love me some Harry Potter! So, of course I did the Hogwarts House Quiz. I was very excited to read up on the attributes for my house. I would have to say that Hufflepuff fits me perfectly. If you are a Potter Head and have not taken the quiz, I think you would enjoy the outcome and you should give it a try.
Personal Core Values
I chose to discuss values last because it’s not as easy as taking a quiz. This one you will have to put some thought into, so let me explain why this is important. I learned about the importance of Values Based Living through teaching MRT at my job. I will explain how I understand it. Many people live a goals focused life, jumping from one goal to the next. Often times, we do not reach our goals and one reason is that goal may not be aligned with YOUR values. In addition, if you do reach a goal, you may not feel very satisfied for the very same reason; that goal was not aligned with YOUR values. First, identify your values, then you can set goals to live your values. Basically, your values are your journey in life. Your goals are the milestones you set to continue down that path. I like concreate information, so I found a list to look at and chose my values off that list. You can make a list values using this list of personal core values or you can just come up with values on your own. Then, look at your current goals and see if they align. Then start setting some new goals and sub-goals to live YOUR best life!
I hope this was helpful. <3
I put together a little creative diagram to remind me of all the awesome things I have discovered about myself. It is so interesting to see the similarities between all of the quizzes, surveys, research, and personal reflection.

We are all unique and beautiful creatures!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born To Stand Alone

I hope y'all are ready for some more Brené Brown fangirling! In my dark moments in life, somehow she always shows up to show me the light. Whether it is in a social media post, a video I run across, or a book I pick up to read at the right moment. Brené, thank you for being you and having the courage to show up and be seen.  I recently finished reading Brené Brown's book Dare to Lead . In that book she discusses values. She says that we all have two core values and the rest of the values we believe in are supportive of our two core values. I believe my two core values are: courage and legacy. When I would talk about values in my classes, I would mention integrity and authenticity as being some of my core values. I now believe those have a supporting role in my core values of legacy and courage. It takes a lot of courage to show up and be your authentic self and to sometimes stand alone in integrity. I want to be represented accurately which is why I get so upset when people...

Focusing On The Up Side

I recently moved to Texas from Florida with two of my daughters. It seems that my nine year old daughter is doing just fine...dare I say, even thriving. While, my seventeen year old and myself are really blah about the whole thing. If you read my last post , you know that I am completely aware of my internal struggle with this move. If you have read my post, Words Unsaid , you will know that my brain is a super-filing-system set on figuring out problems. The fact that we are not doing as well as my nine year old poses a problem to me. I know...I know...we should not compare ourselves to others, but by golly I want to feel as great as that little sweet girl of mine. We recently had an amazing girls night out. My brother and his wife gifted us theater tickets to see " Anastasia ." In my mind I believed this would be the first solution to our little issue of being meh . I will just lead with, we had a great time and I will talk about that more in just a sec. Right now, I wa...

Reaching Out

Why is it hard for us to reach out? When you are in the midst of a painful, shameful, or fearful moment, you hesitate to reach out. I bet it's because you are protecting yourself. You are already a hot damn mess and you are afraid of being rejected, dismissed, or shamed by others. My favorite statement I love hearing after sharing with someone that I had just overcame something painful, shameful or fearful is "you should have reached out to me." Well damn! How was I supposed to know? I was afraid to reach out to anyone. Or maybe I reached out to someone who had said that to me in the past and they were not as receptive as I had hoped. We all struggle sometimes. Unfortunately, most of us struggle alone and in silence because it is scary to be vulnerable and past experiences proved we cannot trust anyone to give a sh*t. Or maybe we attempted and failed. It's so hard to try again because that rejection just added more to the pile of steaming sh*t you currently cal...