Skip to main content

You Are Capable of Greatness!

I was once told I am not creative because I cannot free paint.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I asserted a very strong argument against that statement.
First, I have taken a strengths survey annually for the last four years. It has told me every year that my top strength is "creativity." Second, I am an excellent process and performance improvement professional. It takes great creativity to accomplish making processes and performance optimized. Third, I have had a challenging life with many sharp turns that required a lot of creativity to keep moving forward.

Why did it bother me so much that I was told I was not creative?

I do not think the statement is what bothered me. I think it was the assertion that I could not accomplish certain things because of  a narrow belief that our talents, personality, and thinking style determine what we can accomplish. I do not subscribe to such a belief.
Let me share a story with you.
I recently attended a parent engagement activity that asked parents and children to draw a picture of each other and write adjectives to describe the person. As I focused on my drawing while my daughter flitted around, a boy sat down next to me staring at his blank paper. My daughter finally sat down and began drawing. Her teacher walked by and remarked "I see where Charlie gets her creativity from." I giggled because I know she meant artistic ability to which I do not have. My daughter is constantly drawing and she is really good at it for a fourth grader. Me, I am more of a coloring book person with a system for finishing a page in an efficient manner.
As I was focusing to systematically finish my project as directed, the little boy looked at me and said "I wish I could draw a person. You are so good at it." I felt this was an important moment in that little boy's life. I looked up from my drawing, looked him in the eyes, and shared my secret with him. I told him that the only reason I am able to draw people is because the way my grandma taught me was a system with steps made up of shapes. I went shape by shape, step by step with him. He felt like he could draw by the end of it. Guess what, he could!
********************
I think we get so focused on assigning traits and talents to people to determine what they are capable of. If I wanted to be a painter, I damn well could be. I may have a different way of going about accomplishing the task, but I would because I decided so. We have to look at our talents, abilities, styles, strengths, etc and use them to accomplish things. I believe there is no right way to do something. Allow people to accomplish tasks-at home, work,  or school-in the way that makes sense to them. As long as they are not violating rules or not meeting the end state, who cares.

We need to stop telling people what they are or are not good at just because they do not do something the way we were taught it should be done. I think meeting people where they are and helping them to accomplish things their own way is so much more powerful. We are all unique and capable of greatness!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born To Stand Alone

I hope y'all are ready for some more Brené Brown fangirling! In my dark moments in life, somehow she always shows up to show me the light. Whether it is in a social media post, a video I run across, or a book I pick up to read at the right moment. Brené, thank you for being you and having the courage to show up and be seen.  I recently finished reading Brené Brown's book Dare to Lead . In that book she discusses values. She says that we all have two core values and the rest of the values we believe in are supportive of our two core values. I believe my two core values are: courage and legacy. When I would talk about values in my classes, I would mention integrity and authenticity as being some of my core values. I now believe those have a supporting role in my core values of legacy and courage. It takes a lot of courage to show up and be your authentic self and to sometimes stand alone in integrity. I want to be represented accurately which is why I get so upset when people...

Focusing On The Up Side

I recently moved to Texas from Florida with two of my daughters. It seems that my nine year old daughter is doing just fine...dare I say, even thriving. While, my seventeen year old and myself are really blah about the whole thing. If you read my last post , you know that I am completely aware of my internal struggle with this move. If you have read my post, Words Unsaid , you will know that my brain is a super-filing-system set on figuring out problems. The fact that we are not doing as well as my nine year old poses a problem to me. I know...I know...we should not compare ourselves to others, but by golly I want to feel as great as that little sweet girl of mine. We recently had an amazing girls night out. My brother and his wife gifted us theater tickets to see " Anastasia ." In my mind I believed this would be the first solution to our little issue of being meh . I will just lead with, we had a great time and I will talk about that more in just a sec. Right now, I wa...

Just Send The F***ing Email, Already...Geeze!

I have been reminded, almost  daily,   for the last three weeks , how efficient I am and that nothing is going to get done when I depart. As if what I do is some how  magical  and ONLY I have the ability to do so. YES! I do act like it sometimes because its funny to me to play into the drama. But, in all seriousness, I have three simple time management "rules" I live by. Let me explain why time management is important. There is one simple reason, just one, YOU IMPACT OTHERS! You impact people at work, home, the world, etc. The idea for this post came about because I was impacted by what I consider inefficiency. The person that was assigned the task of planning and executing my going away at work put it off...or forgot about it...or whatever...numerous times. It got to the point where I ended up essentially planning my going away and sent them a detailed email of what was "planned" and whom to send the email to...an entire list of people...just have to put their...