Skip to main content

One Step Closer

A lot of people have decided that I took a few steps back. I disagree.

I was recently terminated from my job...that is the nice way HR says:

It has been surprising to most that I am not terrified or ashamed. I will say that I felt betrayed and my feelings were hurt. But, I was not surprised by any means. Do not get too excited if you are looking for the juicy details of what went down. I am not going there.

It took me all of about two hours to get over my hurt feelings-this comprised of cleaning out my office, turning over projects, and driving home. I was quite confused by this. But, I took a matter of fact approach to the situation. I started researching my rights and thinking about my next move. As I reflected and researched, I reminded myself:

  • the position was not a good fit for me
  • super successful people have often attributed their success to being fired
  • I have always come back bigger and better each time I am knocked down
  • BONUS: I have a new story for my resilience classes

During the moments that I did share my plight with people, I was actually kind of happy about the situation. In my mind, I would picture myself being interviewed [after reaching super star status], telling THIS story. I know! A little premature for sure but, this is how it went down for me.

Since then, it has been a challenge to stand tall in my defeat-to not desperately take another "not good fit" position just because I am scared. I remember telling everyone that questioned my decision to move to Texas, without a solid plan:
I have to go. Who I am meant to be is on the other side of this. If I do not go, I will not be that person. 
I have only been on this path for eight months. This was my first detour with a kick in the pants to get back on the "right" road. In these eight months, I have learned so much about myself. I have also seen how much I have grown as a person and continue to grow. This experience has taught me that sometimes people do not consider the harshest of consequences for their actions before making a choice-including myself. I am focusing on being more mindful of my decisions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Feelings - I Am Lonely

Hi, my name is Christina, and I often feel lonely.  Are you still there?  Hello?  Okay, if you are, then maybe you are lonely too and want to hear what I have to say. 

Born To Stand Alone

I hope y'all are ready for some more Brené Brown fangirling! In my dark moments in life, somehow she always shows up to show me the light. Whether it is in a social media post, a video I run across, or a book I pick up to read at the right moment. Brené, thank you for being you and having the courage to show up and be seen.  I recently finished reading Brené Brown's book Dare to Lead . In that book she discusses values. She says that we all have two core values and the rest of the values we believe in are supportive of our two core values. I believe my two core values are: courage and legacy. When I would talk about values in my classes, I would mention integrity and authenticity as being some of my core values. I now believe those have a supporting role in my core values of legacy and courage. It takes a lot of courage to show up and be your authentic self and to sometimes stand alone in integrity. I want to be represented accurately which is why I get so upset when people...

My Thoughts - Convenience Friendship

Friendship has been a topic of discussion for me for the last week or so. I have received a lot of valuable insight from numerous people. I do not agree or disagree with anything I have heard. I have kind of just taken it in and processed it. One person who has requested to be known as Ravishing Ravenclaw, mentioned the term "convenient friend." I had never heard of that before. At first it caused some anger and hurt to think about how many people treat me like a convenient friend. However, after some contemplation and reading some blogs/articles on the subject, I think we all treat some people like convenience friends.  Urban Dictionary defines Convenience Friend as    a person who is only around when it is easy and  convenient  for them. They are the people who, if not placed around us, (ex.  dorm  rooms), all the time, they wouldn't really be friends. They are usually used to doing things for you, if you need a ride to and from school, etc...