Skip to main content

Twenty-Nineteen, My Year of Courage

...

Courage

is the word I picked to live by in 2019
Image by 1778011 from Pixabay
Image by 1778011 from Pixabay
How did I show courage this year?
  1. I moved to Texas without a solid plan. I decided that it was time to see what was on the other side of fear. Leaving the comfort and security of Florida was scary. Moving away from my Florida family, not knowing how to have long distance friendships was scary. Relocating on my own, without the military, without a guarantee, was friggin' scary. 
  2. I challenged myself to do uncomfortable things. I have a strong distaste for social engagements that are not themed purposeful parties. That has not changed. But, I knew it was a necessary evil and ventured out to networking events. I crashed a few times, but quickly developed a great strategy. Now, I am somewhat considered an expert on the topic, at least for those that avoid social engagements also. 
  3. I faced being fired square in the face and stood tall. I do not shy away from my being fired. I don't exactly wear it like a badge of honor, but I take the courageous stance that it is a part of my story. So, when I am asked direct questions that the honest and true answer is "I was fired," then that is what I say, without a whisper-in a normal matter of fact tone. 
  4. I stood alone with my values. While others were trying to direct me to the common path with common values, I said "no thank you;" not every time, but most times. When I didn't I was schwacked by the Universe. I do not like being schwacked. I much prefer people call me "crazy" or "difficult." 

Through this journey, I have realized that courage often looks like crazy or stupid to some. Learning to accept the judgement of others while being strong in my decisions is hard. I learned a lot about having compassion for myself this year because having courage is not always easy.

My favorite thing about staying strong in courage is how I feel when I make a mistake. I love feeling proud of being true to myself when I falter.

Towards the later half of 2019, I did some self-reflection with the assistance of Brene Brown's book Dare to Lead. During that work, I discovered my two foundational core values are courage and legacy. I feel like 2020 will be my legacy year, so that is my word for next year. Its going to be a great one!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Born To Stand Alone

I hope y'all are ready for some more Brené Brown fangirling! In my dark moments in life, somehow she always shows up to show me the light. Whether it is in a social media post, a video I run across, or a book I pick up to read at the right moment. Brené, thank you for being you and having the courage to show up and be seen.  I recently finished reading Brené Brown's book Dare to Lead . In that book she discusses values. She says that we all have two core values and the rest of the values we believe in are supportive of our two core values. I believe my two core values are: courage and legacy. When I would talk about values in my classes, I would mention integrity and authenticity as being some of my core values. I now believe those have a supporting role in my core values of legacy and courage. It takes a lot of courage to show up and be your authentic self and to sometimes stand alone in integrity. I want to be represented accurately which is why I get so upset when people...

Three Days...And Counting

I have been without my anxiety meds for three days! The struggle is so real right now! I thought all my progress in my existence was because of my growth, when apparently it's because I was medicated because now that I am not, I am a hot MFing mess! I am a patient with the Veterans Administration (VA) and now understand why so many veterans loose their s*** and blame the VA. I cannot even explain how I am feeling because its so insanely messy and indescribable. Let me tell you how this happened. The VA's fix to bring services to veterans in smaller communities was to provide clinics with some providers being TeleHealth (like Skype) and no pharmacy. Your medication has to be ordered online only and mailed from a larger VA hospital. You are instructed to order your medication online the day you receive your medication from the previous order because it takes a long time to process and receive your medicine. I ordered my medicine as instructed and as I started seeing the bott...

The Story I Tell Myself

There are days that I have pity parties about not being allowed to help people. You might be thinking at this very moment  wtf Christina. Who is not 'allowing' you to help people? How is that even a thing?  I know. I know. When I am being logical, I think about things differently. But, let me take you on my crazy train for a moment. Sometimes I get into my emotional pity party state because I feel shameful of how much I have not accomplished. These are the times when I see people in the same helping space as me having more followers and getting more gigs to come speak. I see these same people drawing lines and defaming other helpers-creating disconnection where we need connection and collaboration the most. That is when I start to question why. Photo by Suzy Hazelwood from Pexels Brene Brown shared the concept of "the story we tell ourselves" in her book Rising Strong . It makes so much sense. Humans are wired for storytelling. It is how we make sense of ...